A branch of the Mothers’ Union for the native ladies was started at La Caverne Vacoas by Mrs M.S. Cherrington, wife of the Archdeacon who became its first Enrolling Member and the first Diocesan President in April 1924. Soon, at the request of Bishop Golding-Bird, other branches were opened in the main parishes. Mrs. Herring became the first Enrolling Member for the Military Branch, Vacoas, Mrs. Brickdale for English ladies at St Paul’s Vacoas, Mrs. Rolph for Quatre Bornes and Mrs Norton for Curepipe.
Since its creation, the Mothers’ Union always had expatriate ladies as Diocesan Presidents. In 1970, the first Mauritian to hold office for three years was Mrs. Gladys Donat followed by Thérèse Seneque (1973-1974), Doris Donat (1975-1979), Solange Seneque (1980-1982), Joyce Marie-Jeanne (1983-1985), Gladys Cunniah (1986-1991), Suzy Lingaya (1992-1994), Maud Patten (1995-1997), Ilka Lutchmaya (1998-2000), Nadège Pavaday (2001-2004), Kamla Ernest (2005-2009), Ya Ling Leung Yin Ko (2010-2012), Kamla Ernest
The members work very hard through the Flag Day towards the financing of several projects of the Diocese namely the Families in need and the Malagasy Orphanage “Akany Famonjena”. They also contribute extensively to the success of the Annual bishop’s Bazaar. The outgate project also caters for inmates at the female Beau Bassin Prison and their families.
Guiding began in Vacoas in 1926 with the formation of a company for English-speaking girls. French speaking girls later joined the company and Guiding soon spread to other areas of the country, although membership was confined to girls of European descent. In 1939, under Mrs. Dawson and Mrs. Rogers, the Diocesan Guide Movement was developed. The Anglican Community opened companies with girls of all nationalities and soon afterwards similar companies were opened by the Roman Catholic Community. In 1943, the first Island Council was formed and, in 1946, the Mauritius Girl Guides Association’s Constitution was approved and became a branch Association of UK. Guiding was soon established in 5 districts of the island. In 1980 a bill was passed by the Mauritius Legislative Assembly granting the association legal status.
In 1990, Guiding was extended to Rodrigues. The patrons of the association were all Governors General and Presidents of the Republic.
The Mauritius Girl Guides Association is a full member of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts.
To provide to girls and young women of all cultures and religions the opportunity to fully develop their potential through non-formal education as responsible and reliable citizens of the world
The Ranger Guides special mission is to be of service to the community. Ranger Guides have been actively involved in holding camps for street children, handicapped children and held girl guides activities and programmes for juveniles offenders at the Rehabilitation Youth Centre and at the Probation Home for girls.
The Scout Mouvement started in 1912 for the youth of the white settles. In 1936 Reverend A. F. B. Rogers, himself a keen scout had to face opposition and obstacles from the Mauritius Association who wanted to keep the scout movement white. Finally, the body of Rovers and Scouts of Indian and Creole origin, was officially recognized as members of the Diocesan Boys Scouts Association with Bishop Otter-Barry as President. It is to be recorded that the Anglican Church had been the pioneer in Mauritius for real scouting i.e. true brotherhood among all races and creeds.
In 1939, under the leadership of Archdeacon Dawson, new troops were started by the Anglican Clergy. Archdeacon Dawson was also an adviser and trainer to the newly formed Roman Catholic Association for colored boys. He also started a Tamil and a Muslim troop. In 1946 Shantilal Dhanjee started the first Hindu Scout Troop in Rose Hill.
In 1979 the Scouts Band was launched under the leadership of Percy Appadoo, bandmaster.
ROSE BELLE ORPHANAGE
About 1882, the orphanage existed in Crève Coeur under the charge of Rev and Mrs. N. Honiss. Through the CMS, this building was removed from Crève Coeur and erected with certain modifications on the mission grounds at Rose Belle.
The CMS bought a property at Plaisance, Quatre Bornes in 1876. In 1878, Rev A.G. Ansorgé opened an orphanage – 126 Children, 60 boys, 66 girls were cared for. In September 1896. They were moved to a newly reconstructed house in Rose Belle. In 1960 Cyclone Carol destroyed the boys’ section of the orphanage in Trianon.
SAINT HUGH’S HOME
In 1961, a first building was constructed at Edgar Laurent Street, Rose Hill to house orphans, then a second was opened to accommodate the girls.
In 1975, the cyclone Gervaise destroyed the premises that accommodated the elderly and they were temporarily transferred to the Girls’ section at St Hugh’s Anglican Home. In 1978, two new buildings were erected, they were named “Rachel” and “Evelyn” in tribute to two people who took care of our girls and our elderly. During the episcopate of Bishop Huddleston, a home was created for young people who were under judicial supervision for their first offense.
As from 1981 with growing demand, St Hugh’s Home was mostly dedicated to elderly. A new modern block has been completed in June 2010 to accommodate more people.
Since 2005, the Home has enacted the Residential Care Home Act and the protection of the elderly Act, put in place by the Mauritian government.
The Home has actually 53 residents comprising of 47 ladies and 6 men. 24 residents are sponsored and supported by the Ministry of Social Security.
Our retirement home is currently administered by a Managing Committee appointed by of Board of Commissioners of the Anglican Diocese.